Twilio is a cloud communications provider. This is one of the platforms we use to enable SMS messaging from and to clients. Text messaging can be a great addition to your communication tools.
Buying a number on Twilio
To start sending and receiving SMS, you will need an active number on Twilio.
- Head over to http://www.twilio.com.
- Create an account/log in.
- In the left pane, click on the # icon.
- Click on Manage Numbers.
- Click on the red + to buy a new number.
- In the following page, you can search for a telephone number based on your requirements (location, SMS, Voice, …).
- To buy the number, press the button Buy to the right of it.
- Go through the next pages to proceed.
Connecting Sparkcentral with the telephone number
- Start by going into the setting menu on Sparkcentral.
- Click on Channels, and a menu will drop down.
- Now, click on the button Channels that just appeared.
- On the upper right, click on the button Add Channel (as shown below).
- In the channel overview that now appears, you will need to select SMS via Twilio.
- A new window will open, in which we will need to enter some credentials.
- In Channel name, enter the name you would like this channel to have. It is always a good idea to give this a unique name.
- The rest of the credentials will be added in a few minutes.
Creating authentication credentials in Twilio
- Go to your Twilio console dashboard.
- Click on the button called Settings (in the left tab).
- We will be directed to a page called General Settings.
- Go down the page, until you see a label called “API Credentials”.
- There are two different tabs. “LIVE Credentials” and “TEST Credentials”. We will use the first one.
- Copy the Account SID, and enter it into the Sparkcentral Twilio window that appeared earlier.
- Now, we need to copy the Auth Token. To do so, click on the eye icon in front of it.
- Copy the token that just became visible, and paste it into the previous window.
- The next step is to copy the phone number SID. To do so, Click on the # button, in the left tab on Twilio.
- This will open your active phone numbers. In the overview, click on the phone number you would like to connect.
- Copy the string of text under “PHONE NUMBER SID” and paste that into the previous Sparkcentral’s window.
- On the previous Sparkcentral window, click on next.
- The channel has now been added to your Sparkcentral instance and can be used to send and receive text messages.