Getting started with WhatsApp 🔐
Before you can start taking WhatApp conversations in Sparkcentral there are several steps you will have to go through. This document describes all the steps in detail and what is required of your organization.
There are 3 main steps:
- Agree to the WhatsApp WhatsApp Business Terms of Service, which can be found here: https://www.whatsapp.com/legal/business-terms/
- Get approved as a brand to use WhatsApp for your organization.
- Link phone numbers to your Sparkcentral instance and get the verified business badge.
What you need to get started?
To start this process you will need to have access to the Facebook Business Manager account of your organization:
- In Facebook Business Manager: you will have to approve a request which will be sent by Sparkcentral (Step 3).
- During this onboarding process, you are required to login to the Facebook Security center to go through the verification steps (Step 4).
What is the Timeline?
Usually, it takes 5-10 business days to get through the full process. The steps are simple and most take a few minutes to execute. However many steps also involve getting approvals from Facebook which can take 24-48 hours each time.
Who is involved?
This step requires action (or input) from your organization
This step will be performed by Sparkcentral
This step will be performed by Facebook
Step by step Walkthrough
Step 1: Agree to the Terms of Service
Once you have a signed agreement with Sparkcentral and have agreed to the WhatsApp Business Terms of Service, you will have to go through the following steps described below.
Step 2: WhatsApp Phone number, Facebook Business Manager ID and Display Name
BRANDsends WhatsApp phone number, Facebook Business Manager ID and the Display Name for the number in WhatsApp to Sparkcentral
- Phone Number
- The phone number which you want to use for WhatsApp can be either a mobile or a landline number
- If you choose for a landline number, you need to make sure you can disable the IVR (in case you have one on that number) during the moment of the WhatsApp number verification
- During verification (Step 6), a 6-digit code will be sent to that number. In the case of a mobile number, it will be a text message (SMS). In the case of a landline number, it will be an automated voice call
- More information on picking the phone number: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/whatsapp/guides/phone-number
- Display Name
- The display name that you want to use for WhatsApp needs to meet certain requirements, which you can find in the following webpage: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/whatsapp/guides/display-name/
- Business Manager ID:
- You can find this ID with the following: Business Settings → Business Info
Step 3: New WhatsApp Account creation
- Sparkcentralcreates a new WhatsApp account for BRAND
- Sparkcentral adds your WhatsApp number and Display Name.
- BRANDwill have to approve the Sparkcentralrequest. The request will show up in the “Requests” tab in the Facebook Business Manager.
Step 4: Business Verification
- BRAND to fill out the Business Verification in the Facebook Business Manager (Business Settings → Security Center→ Verification).
A detailed information on the verification process can be found here:
- Facebook to approve the Business Verification.
Step 5: Phone Verification
- Facebook to approve & validate the Phone Number.
- Sparkcentral & BRAND to go through the number verification process. A 6-digit code that is only valid for 10 minutes is sent either by SMS or through a voice call.
- Sparkcentral to activate the WhatsApp account and link it to Sparkcentral.
Step 6: Official Whatsapp Business Badge
- BRAND to provide Business information & logo to add to the WhatsApp account.
- Sparkcentral to apply for the Verified Business Badge.
- Facebookhas to approve the Verified Business Badge.
Step 7: Highly Structured Message templates
WhatsApp Added Successfully
- As soon as the WhatsApp account verification, activation process is completed, and the account successfully added or linked to Sparkcentral (Step 5), it will then appear as a channel in Sparkcentral.
- Navigate back to the Channel Settings in Sparkcentral to view the channel.
- To help distinguish it better you will see the WhatsApp Name, and the WhatsApp Phone number.
Click on the , to Edit the Channel.
- Start adding Agents, and Teams as needed.
- Enable/Disable additional features available.
- Auto-Ownership – Enables agents to automatically own conversations after responding. When it is disabled, conversation ownership will need to be manually assigned, if desired. Once a conversation is moved to Resolved status, all ownership is removed.
- Customizing the Channel Display Name– Sparkcentral allows Admins the ability to customize their channel display name for all mediums. You can customize the channel display name up to 255 characters. Be sure to Save your work before exiting the window. Once you save the new channel display name, it will be visible to all users in the drop-down channel selector.
- The Auto-Resolve in the New/Pending queue feature will automatically move conversations from the New queue, and Pending queue to the Resolved queue. By default, all conversations in Sparkcentral older than 30 days in the new queue or pending queue will automatically be resolved. You can decide after how much time this happens, and can specify this setting per channel.
- Team Access – Team concept where Users belong to a Team, and have access to the Team’s channels. A User can only be a Member of 1 Team.
There are three roles that you can set each team member to:
Viewer – This role can move conversations to pending or resolved, view the channels they have access to, add tags, notes and topics to conversations, but they can not reply to conversations. One may find this useful for new agents, to help them navigate around how the platform works.
Contributor – This role can move conversations to pending or resolved, view the channels they have access to, add tags, notes and topics to conversations, and reply in conversations. Contributors do not have access to Reports.
Supervisor – This role has all of the permissions that a Contributor has, as well as the ability to access the Reports tab. To view Reports, a user must hold a Supervisor role for the applicable channel.
- Admins also have the ability to toggle access for ‘All Users’, and ‘All Teams’.
You're All Set!
Messages should start coming in, and you can start interacting WhatsApp via Sparkcentral.